Advertising

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

UNSATISFIED


Look me in the eye
Then, tell me that I’m satisfied
Was you satisfied? 
Look me in the eye
Then, tell me that I’m satisfied
Hey, are you satisfied? 


After albums filled with punk-fueled material delivered at breakneck speed, Replacements' singer-songwriter Paul Westerberg decided to take the foot off the pedal and reach deep inside himself to compose reflective, angst-ridden songs of sadness and disaffection. That's where Westerberg became the "spokesman of his generation" as the cliche is often framed.

On 4th album, Let It Be, the opening track of Side B - Unsatisfied - is probably not one of Westerberg's most melodic songs but boy, does it hit you between the eyes with its melancholy heart. From the acoustic guitar opening to its basic strident format, everything about the song screams the disappointing death of dreams. The wistfulness of the slide guitar underpins Westerberg's wails about The Who's mythical "teenage wasteland" as he asks his listeners (and perhaps himself), "Hey, are you satisfied?"before he confesses what he is holding in the recesses of his soul - 

I’m so, I’m so unsatisfied
I’m so dissatisfied
I’m so, I’m so unsatisfied
I’m so unsatisfied


A simple message but yet so damn powerful... the power of pop.

No comments: