Advertising

Saturday, March 27, 2010

TURN ME AROUND

Y'know, sometimes when a song inspiration strikes, you've got to go with the flow. This morning around 10 plus, as I was playing and singing a couple of covers e.g. Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman and the Decemberists' Engine Driver (preparing for an imaginary gig), I had this tune running through my head.

So, I figured out the chords for the first line and rather immediately the song took shape as I threw in chords that seemed to fit together rather nicely and before you know it I had the verse and chorus. So I recorded the tune on Audacity and kept refining it along the way till I was completely satisfied.

That done, I began work on the lyrics. I was thinking about Big Star's the Ballad of El Goodo somewhat and dubbed the song, "Turn Me Around" a phrase used in the Big Star track. And so I began mulling the lyrical ideas and concepts in my head. What came to mind was all the celebrity infidelities regularly in the press nowadays and I was off! That was the theme of the song - the narrator simply suspected his wife/girlfriend of being unfaithful to him.

In the meantime, I'd also concocted a middle eight to keep things interesting. The trouble was that I kept confusing my original tune with Narisa's melody used on Valentine's Day. So I quickly recorded my middle eight on Audacity so I would not forget it (and not rip Narisa off).

All set, now to record a quick demo on Garageband. Once I selected a drum loop I layered my acoustic guitar over it. Then I double tracked vocals straight into my Macbook condenser mic and the basic outline was done. In order to embellish the song, I also included organ, bass and lead guitar to arrive at a fuller sound. Still all very rough mind you but it would give any listener a good indication of what the song was about.

Not bad for three hours work, if I say so myself. Listen to the result here and here. Please comment - there are a few surprises along the way. ;-)

Can anyone do what I did? Yes, I believe so. If you wanna know how, get in touch at info(at)powerofpop(dot)com and let's discuss further how I can help you with your songwriting, recording and/or production skills.

...and there's more...

No comments: