Advertising

Wednesday, March 24, 2010


PoP COLLEGE - ANYONE CAN WRITE A SONG

The Two Chord Wonder

I first heard Neil Young's Unknown Legend as the opening cut of his 1992 hit album, Harvest Moon and remain firmly besotted by this amazing song. What I only realized later when analysing the song was that it has essentially two chords! Despite this, the melody sweeps the listener away with the aid of heady harmonies, tremolo lead guitar riffs and very basic country-folk arrangements and rhythm. Which goes to show that songwriting is not merely technical - filled with clever and fancy chord structures - but with the instinctive grasp of emotion, mood and tone to tell a story - both musically and lyrically.



NB. I will be sharing my expertise and experience gained from more than 30 years of performance and songwriting at PoP College, which will be commencing soon. For more information, please drop me an email at info(at)powerofpop(dot)com

No comments: